My Photo
Name:
Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho, United States

I have been married to the most incredible man for 18 YEARS! We have three beautiful, amazing children who I have centered my whole life around at the moment. We live by both of our families and love spending time with them. Sometimes I feel like I am a "Big City" girl trapped in a "Little City" body, but Idaho Falls has grown on me in the past few years that we've lived here and I have many wonderful friends here!

Aug 14, 2007

Jeff's Scare


I can't sleep so I might as well write some feelings down about what happened to us last night... Jeff had gotten home from work and had just finished eating dinner. We were talking about having a quick Family Home Evening before he went back to work to do some printing. I went down stairs to tell the kids to come up and heard a very large crash! I looked around the corner and there on the stairs, fallen head first was Jeff, appearing not to be able to move. My heart sunk! I kept calling his name. He was looking me straight in the eyes as if pleading for help and I couldn't do anything. I dialed 911 and got someone on the phone and she told me to get him off the stairs and to lay him flat. At this point, he was blue and had quit breathing. I asked if I could administer CPR to him and she told me to proceed but to keep talking to her and an ambulance was on its way. I thought I was going to lose him. A lot of thoughts went through my head at that time. Some that are too sacred to share, but I knew I didn't want to be a single mom, and I didn't want to be alone. I prayed with all my might that he would be okay. After I had done CPR, he started to breathe and the relief that I felt was indescribable. The lady on the call asked me if he was moving and I told her no. He was just laying there limp. The whole time, his eyes looking right at me. I thought that he knew what was happening, but couldn't talk to me or couldn't move. Soon after that the response team showed up and started treating him. I immediately called the children upstairs because I yelled for them to go downstairs earlier because I didn't want them to keep watching what was going on. I hugged them as tight as I could and told them that the response team was there and they were going to take good care of him. By now, the whole neighborhood is at our house, one dear friend came to ask if she could take the kids and so she took the kids and I went with the ambulance to the emergency room. By the time that we had been in the ambulance for about 3 minutes, they told me that he was starting to respond and that he knew who he was and where he was. They also told me that they thought he had had a seizure. When we stopped and they pulled him out of the ambulance to enter the hospital I was so relieved to be able to go and kiss him and have him know who I was. After three hours and many tests, they told us that the only thing they could figure caused the seizure was the medication that he has been on for a little over a year for his pain. I was able to take him home last night and have him in my bed! I didn't sleep a wink because every movement I wanted to make sure that he wasn't having another seizure! When the kids came home last night and saw their dad they were so relieved. Mack just kept staring at him. I know that it really scared all of them. Now that I look back on it, a seizure may not seem serious and I'm glad that they couldn't find anything majorly wrong, but believe me when I say that I am grateful that I have a Heavenly Father who blesses me each day with this amazing man by my side and he'd better not take him from me sooner than he really needs to! Thank you to all of the prayers that I know that were said in our behalf!

3 Comments:

Blogger M said...

What meds is is taking for what pain?

August 14, 2007 at 12:55 PM  
Blogger Becca said...

Jeff had been taking Tramadol (SP?) for pain associated with Kidney stone related pain. We threw it away earlier today because we didn't even want to see it every again!!!

August 14, 2007 at 6:18 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Oh Becca what a scarry thing to have happen! I'm so relieved that he is okay. Wish I lived close enough to help. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

August 31, 2007 at 3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home